Eduardo Rodriguez has not contacted Tigers since going on restricted list

Detroit Tigers general manager Al Avila on Wednesday said that lefty starter Eduardo Rodriguez hasn’t communicated with the team since he was placed on the restricted list June 13 because of personal matters.

“We reached out, but obviously he hasn’t reached out back. We’re just kind of waiting it out,” Avila said. “It is unusual, but we have no choice but to wait it out right now and see how it develops as we move forward.”

Avila wouldn’t say whether the Tigers would attempt to void Rodriguez’s contract, a five-year, $77 million pact he signed with the club in November.

“I’m not gonna get into that at this point,” Avila said at the time. “Obviously that’s a situation, it’s a private situation right now on his part. I wo n’t get into that.”

The Tigers didn’t provide many details when Rodriguez went on the restricted list, but the New York Post later reported that it was due to a marital issue.

“From what I know, there’s been no movement whatsoever and no communication,” Tigers manager AJ Hinch said on Friday. “We know he’s safe, we know he’s home with his kids, we know he’s back in Florida, but it’s been pretty quiet.”

Before on the restricted list, Rodriguez had been on the injured list since leaving his May 18 start in the first inning with pain on his left side, which was later determined to be caused by a ribcage sprain. He has a 1-3 record with a 4.38 ERA over 39 innings this season.

(Photo: Raj Mehta / USA TODAY Sports)

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.